Oven-baked beetroot crisps
beetroot crisps are healthy and full of vitamins: perfect as a snack on the go
Wether you are on a diet, or just like to eat healthy food, sometimes you just need a good old snack. For those times, there is an alternative for the clasic supermarket-bought potato crisps. The healthy option is this: oven-baked beetroot crisps with sea salt and thyme: they are 100% natural, easy to make and full of vitamins.
Beetroot is a great source of potasium, iron and magnesium, and also vitamins (A, B6, B9, C), as well as proteins, antioxidants and fibre. Baking the beetroot crisps instead of deep-frying makes them low in calories, therefore a good choice for those who are on a diet. You can find various varieties of beetroot, the most popular being red and yellow. However, my favourite is the red variety.
Besides beetroot, other root vegetables such as carrots or parsnips are also easy to be transformed into crisps. Here is a great idea for curried parsnip crisps from Shaun Rankin.
Beetroot crisps with sea salt and thyme
- three red beetroots
- few drops of extravirgin olive oil
- coarse sea salt
- fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven at 160 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the stalks of the beetroot, leave them unpeeled, wash them under cold water and dry them in a towel (it is better if you use paper towels).
- Slice the beetroot as thinly as possible with a mandoline or a very sharp knife. Place the slices in a bowl, add the olive oil (just a few drops) and use your hands to evenly distribute the oil on every slice. Every slice should be covered in a very thin coat of oil.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and place the beetroot slices on the baking paper, one next to the oder (do not put all slices at once as they will not bake evenly and they will not become crispy).
- Bake the beetroot slices at 160 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes (depending of how thin they are), check them after 20 minutes, just to make sure they will not burn. You will know that they are ready, when they start to shrink and become crispy.
- When ready, take the crisps out of the oven, sprinkle some coarse sea salt, leave them to cool and then add some fresh thyme.
There you have it: oven baked red beetroot crisps with sea salt and fresh thyme.
If you are looking for healthier meal options, have a look at my recipe for Ribollita recipe. It’s a great way to enjoy a comforting soup that is packed with flavour and vitamins.
Awesome. These look amazing. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.