*This post has been sponsored by PRIMULA. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*
My lunch breaks have not been the same lately and the one thing that I miss most is going out to get some street food. Street food is so very much embedded in my culture that I have been constantly trying to recreate my favourite recipes at home. Now talking about my favourite: it has got to be a meatball roll.
There’s something so deeply comforting about those big, juicy, well-seasoned meatballs, bathed in tomato sauce. And then there’s the roll: I personally like a sweet(ish), soft, brioche type of roll – but a halved baguette or Italian ciabatta will do just as well. I used Primula Cheese ‘n’ Jalapeno as the cheesy surprise element in today’s recipe. And it was quite special.
Primula Cheese ‘n’ Jalapeno not only adds a touch of creaminess to my meatball rolls, but it also packs in the flavour of the spicy jalapeno peppers. I have topped my cheesy meatball rolls with spring onions, finely chopped. If spring onions are not your thing, try crispy onions, red pepper – or even some extra jalapenos. The combinations are pretty much limitless – and you can really personalise your meatball roll not only by using different toppings, but also by trying different flavours of cheese. My second favourite after Primula Cheese ‘n’ Jalapeno is Primula Cheese ‘n’ Paprika – it has a milder taste, but it is just as delicious and versatile.
Primula Cheese ‘n’ Jalapeno and Primula Cheese ‘n’ Paprika are a great replacement for grated cheese as the cheese melts quickly and it maintains its unique flavour. It is ideal for hot snacks and it pairs well with hot dogs, burgers and even tacos or quesadillas. Head over to their official website to find out more about the whole range and how you can try it for free.
Cheesy Meatball Rolls Recipe
Cheesy Meatball Rolls
- 250 g mince beef
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- fresh parsley finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes chopped
- 100 ml tomato passata
- 1 tube Primula Cheese ‘n’ Jalapeno
- 4 bripoche rolls small
- sunflower oil for frying
- salt to season
- black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- For the meatballs, place the minced beef in a bowl, mix with 1 chopped garlic clove, some finely chopped parsley and season with salt and black pepper.
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs for 6-7 minutes on medium heat, turning them on each side frequently.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- For the tomato sauce, fry the chopped onion and the remaining garlic in a tsp of sunflower oil heated in a saucepan.
- Add the tomatoes and the tomato passata and simmer until tomatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a hand blender to blitz all ingredients into a saucy consistency.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and keep warm.
- Place 4 small brioche rolls on a baking tray and spoon in some meatballs and tomato sauce.
- Add a squeeze of Primula Cheese ‘n’ Jalapeno and cook in the oven for 3 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt.
- Serve hot, with chopped spring onions on top.