The Christmas Dinner Inspiration series continues with a star ingredient: Waitrose & Partners No. 1 Smoked Burrata. Yes, yes that’s correct, there actually IS something *better* than burrata and that is the smoked variety. And before you ask, yes: it’s got the same indulgent, creamy center surrounded by ribbons of fresh mozzarella AND each cheese is smoked on beechwood for a delicate smokey flavour.
I usually like to serve the classic burrata as simple as possible, seasoned with extra virgin olive oil, good salt and freshly ground black pepper – it makes a great Sunday brunch treat and it’s always a crowd pleaser. But the Waitrose & Partners No.1 Smoked Burrata is really special, so it would make a fabulous starter center piece. It pairs well with bitter leaves, fennel and citrus – and you can also add herbs and peppery leaves for extra flavour. Adding fresh pomegranate to this type of salad is always a good idea: it brings texture, a touch of sweetness and extra sharpness. In terms of dressings, I like to keep things as simple as possible. Some good quality extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper is all that I want in a salad. A touch of balsamic vinegar (or pomegranate molasses if you prefer) is welcome, but not mandatory. All ingredients in this recipe are available at your local Waitrose & Partners store or online.
Smoked Burrata with Chicory and Fennel
- 1 Waitrose & Partners No.1 Smoked Burrata
- 1 white chicory
- 1 red chicory
- 1 fennel
- 1 orange
- fresh mint leaves
- pomegranate optional
- olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper
- pomegranate molasses/balsamic vinegar optional
- Remove the orange peel and cut the orange into round slices.
- Thinly slice the fennel using a mandoline slicer.
- Place the chicory leaves and fennel in a bowl and toss with extra virgin olive oil.
- To serve, arrange the chicory and fennel on a large plate, add the orange slices, rocket and mint leaves. Finally add the Waitrose & Partners No.1 Smoked Burrata. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and extra virgin olive oil. (optional) add fresh pomegranate, balsamic vinegar or pomegranate molasses.